Don’t Let Holiday Travel Interrupt Your Skin Care Routine
- Posted on: Dec 17 2012
Over the weekend, AAA released its annual travel forecast for Christmas saying “Travelers should be prepared for packed planes, trains and roadways during the Christmas and New Year’s holiday period…92.3 million people are planning to travel 50 or more miles from home.”
What will that mean for your skin? Travel can cause stress to your body and your skin with the changing climates, altitudes, humidity and anxiety levels. If you are one of the 92.3 million people who will be traveling over the next couple of weeks, this article is for you. Whether you will be traveling by car or plane this holiday season, here are some steps to keep your skin healthy and happy.
On The Trip
- If you will be flying to your holiday destination, remember to carry on products that are 3 ounces or less and place them in clear, sealed plastic bags to make the trip through security a quick one. Most products you use for your face are already less than 3 ounces. Your skin care brand should offer travel size options if the full size products are more than 3 ounces. At DermaSpa we have travel sets available which contain our DermaSpaRx skin care products in convenient carrying cases. Travel sets are also perfect to keep with you if you are driving to your destination and for overnight trips. Contact us to get your set before you leave home!
- The air in the cabin of the plane can be dry, so hydrate well the night before your trip with an intense moisturizer. Our Moisturizing Repair Cream contains eight active ingredients to both deeply hydrate and reverse the signs of aging. It gently restores the skin’s natural barrier, boosts collagen and lipid production, and inhibits collagen breakdown.
- Your lips can be severely affected by changes in climate and humidity. Bring a lip balm and moisturizer with you on travel day and use as needed to soothe and moisturize dry, chapped lips. Our protective DermaSpaRx lip shield will hydrate and smooth lip texture, while shielding from the sun’s harmful UV rays. SPF 15
- Skip foundation- especially on long flights where the length of time your make-up is on is longer than a normal day.
- Bring facial cleansing wipes with you so you can keep oily skin under control and refresh during the trip. These clothes should be mild so that you can eliminate oil and shine without stripping the skin’s natural moisture.
- Pay special attention to your eye area which can get puffy after a long trip. Take along an under eye cream that hydrates and contains an anti-inflammatory ingredient to sooth irritation and reduce puffiness.
- Minimize the occurrence of break outs by keeping your hands away from your face. Traveling means increased exposure to bacteria and pollutants that can end up on your hands. Avoid transferring the bacteria to your face by either using a travel size antibacterial hand sanitizer or waiting until you can thoroughly wash your hands before applying products to your face.
- Take your favorite cleanser with you. Your skin is accustomed to your daily cleanser and an abrupt change in products can cause over drying or breakouts. Choose DermaSpaRx Facial Enzyme Cleanser for a mild, yet effective cleansing or AHA Cleanser for a deeper, exfoliating cleanse.
If you are traveling out of the country it may be difficult to find the skin care products you are used to, so take them along in your checked bag. Make sure they are well packed inside of sealed plastic bags to prevent any leaks from spilling into your luggage.
You’ve Arrived. Now What?
- Keep your skin care simple. After all, this is the time to relax and enjoy the holidays. When travelling, you are exposing your skin to new climates with possible changes in temperature, environmental exposure, wind and humidity. Even over a short period of time, these changes can have an impact on your skin health.
- Cleanse twice daily with your normal cleanser, adjusting based on your skin’s reaction to the new climate. For example, if your skin seems overly dry after a day in the sun and you normally use an AHA cleanser, skip it and opt for water only. Avoid using hotel soaps and body washes which often contain fragrances and other chemicals that can irritate and dry out the skin.
- Heading out on the slopes? Protect yourself with a SPF sun block. Even if the sun is not shining, you are still exposed to damaging UV rays. Make sure your sun protection system contains a physical sun block ingredient-either zinc oxide or titanium dioxide- for broad spectrum protection. These ingredients block both UVB rays (those that burn you) and UVA rays (those that cause long term damage and premature aging). These sunblocks are worth the extra cost. Chemical sunscreens contain ingredients that work against one or the other type of UV rays, but not the full spectrum.
- Keep your skin moisturized with a light, oil free formula that is easily absorbed. A serum made with a super hydrator like Hyaluronic Acid (Sodium Hyaluronate) and Vitamin B6 will replenish your skin and protect against moisture loss.
Remember to re-pack the travel items you used on the way to your vacation when you head home. Even if you are not looking forward to getting back to your daily routine, your skin is.order Face Off by clicking on the image
Feature Travel Product
DermaSpaRx Skin Nutrition by Dr. Asarch, MD
Dr. Asarch has created a comprehensive line of skin care and skin nutrition products including the Face Off Cleansing Pads. These gentle cleansing cloths are the perfect travel companion to keep your skin fresh and clean. I use these after workouts, when traveling and any time I can’t get to a sink to wash my face. Each pad contains antioxidants to remove oil and debris from the skin while hydrating and protecting against future skin damage. Conveniently packaged for use anywhere, Face Off cleansing pads are appropriate for all skin types.
DermaSpaRx products are available at DermaSpa Medical Spa, the Four Seasons Vail Resort and other elite spas in the Denver Area. They are also available online at www.dermasparx.com
Posted in: Blog Post