Can You Shrink Your Pores?
- Posted on: Mar 8 2013
It is a myth that you can reduce the size of your pores. The truth is the size of your pores is not in your control since you cannot shrink their diameter. However, clean pores are less obvious than clogged pores and with the right skin care you can make your pores appear smaller for a more even complexion.
Oily areas, such as the forehead, nose and chin, generally have the most noticeable pores. Oil clogs pores and when combined with dead skin cells, dirt and make-up, pores can appear darker and larger.
A daily cleanser is your first line of defense. If you have sensitive skin, try a gentle cleanser, such as DermaSpaRx Facial Enzyme Cleanser to remove the dirt, make-up and excess oil from your pores. If you have normal to oily skin, use a cleanser with an effective exfoliating acid, such as DermaSpaRx AHA Facial Cleanser. The alpha hydroxy acid exfoliates dead skin cells and clears pores, encourages cell turnover and boosts collagen and elastin production.
Toners generally contain alcohol which can irritate your skin. Most people get little benefit from a toner. Even though they immediately remove surface oil, they have no lasting benefit. Some skin types can tolerate daily exfoliation, while others may need to limit it to 2-3 times per week.
Deep-cleaning your skin is beneficial, but facial scrubs can be too harsh for your skin. Avoid any facial scrub with uneven particles such as sugar and salt. Those can be reserved for exfoliation on the tougher skin of your body.
If your at-home cleansers are not giving you the results you want, make an appointment with your dermatologist for a microdermabrasion or chemical peel.
- Microdermabrasion is a procedure that is performed with a jet of fine crystals which are vacuumed across the skin to remove the dead and damaged skin cells and to stimulate the collagen beneath the surface of the skin. After just one 45-minute treatment, patients report their skin tone and texture are improved: wrinkles are less apparent; even scarring and pore size is less noticeable.
- Chemical peeling is a technique used to rejuvenate and improve the appearance of the skin. With this treatment, a chemical solution is applied to the skin, which causes the surface layers to separate and eventually peel off. The new rejuvenated skin is usually smoother with improvement of the color and texture.
An Important Reminder…
Protection from the sun prevents damage to the cells of the epidermis. Over time this sun damage can lead to the production of lines, wrinkles, precancerous lesions and actual skin cancers. In addition, there can be damage to collagen and elastin, the components that give your skin firmness and structure. Without the strength from collagen and elastin, your pores have wider openings and appear larger. This is yet another reason to protect your skin with an broad spectrum sunblock with an SPF of at least 30 every time you are in the sun.
DermaSpaRx Introduces New Physical, Chemical- Free, Tinted Sunscreens
Purchase any SPF Product and get a complementary deluxe SPF sample during the month of March!
Anti-Oxidant Emollient Sunscreen SPF 30
- An emollient SPF ideal for drier skin due to the addition of Barrier Repair Lipids.
- Provides daily facial photo protection for all patients with dry skin.
- 100% fragrance-free and preservative-free, with micro-encapsulated Melanin, Vitamins C, E and Ferulic Acid Ester for enhanced anti-oxidant protection.
Anti-Oxidant Oil Free Facial Sunscreen SPF 30
- Contains physical sunblocking ingredients Titanium and Zinc oxides in an elegant, dries to a matte finish.
- Provides daily facial photo protection for patients with combination-to-oily complexions.
- 100 fragrance-free and preservative-free
Posted in: Blog Post