Treatment Options for Patients with Acne
- Posted on: Aug 30 2019
When patients think of acne, they often think of teenagers going through puberty and dealing with this troublesome condition. However, acne is more common than people think, and can affect patients of all ages. Adult acne is seen regularly in our office when Colorado patients want to address their condition. At Asarch Center for Dermatology, Laser and Mohs Surgery, patients of all ages can seek assistance for their acne.
How is acne treated?
Acne is a condition that may have several causes, and it can present in many different ways. There are several types of acne that need to be diagnosed before patients can discuss treatment. Some of the more common forms of acne include:
- Cystic acne
All of these types of pimples can impact a patient and make them feel self-conscious about their appearance—as well as cause permanent damage to the skin. In fact, many patients who have severe cases of acne at one point in their life may experience acne scarring that affects the texture and tone of the skin in a permanent manner. Treatment for acne scarring is different than treatment of active acne, but our team also provides solutions for those concerns.
To treat acne, patients need to work with an experienced dermatologist. Once patients have a diagnosis s as to the type and severity of their acne condition, they can speak to our team about treatment options. Treatment may include one or several of the following solutions:
- Improved skin care routine (including gentle cleansers, toners, and moisturizers)
- Topical solutions and serums (which often include medication such as salicylic acid)
- Antibiotics for controlling excess bacteria on the skin
- Retinoid creams to treat severe cases of acne
- Oral medications to control the condition from the inside out
- Oral contraceptives for clearing hormone-related acne
- Chemical peels and microdermabrasion for regular skin exfoliation
- Whitehead and blackhead extractions
- Light and photodynamic therapies
Is acne negatively affecting your life?
Contact the staff at Asarch Center for Dermatology, Laser and Mohs Surgery to discuss the treatment options available to you for your specific acne condition. The practice can be reached at (303) 761-7797 for scheduling an appointment with our doctors.