Learn About Skin Care for Diabetics
- Posted on: Oct 15 2019
Patients with diabetes are prone to a variety of skin concerns. When a patient has been diagnosed with diabetes and visits their dermatologist, they may want to take time to educate themselves on how to care for their skin. If you have diabetes, consider the tips and recommendations below!
Diabetic skin care tips
- Keep glucose levels under control. Proper management of diabetes with a doctor’s advice will help reduce the risk of several skin concerns. Patients should monitor their blood glucose levels and keep them within a healthy range, while also eating right, exercising, and taking medications as prescribed.
- Keep the skin clean. It is best for patients with diabetes to use a moisturizing body soap, as many diabetic patients are at risk of dry skin. Showering or bathing should be completed regularly.
- Avoid drying out the skin. Patients with diabetes should avoid long hot showers and baths which can be drying instead of hydrating. Moisturizers used on the skin every day will also improve overall skin health and hydration.
- Use lip balm. Dry skin makes it easier for the lips to become dry and chapped as well. Utilize lip balm every day to decrease the chances of dried, chapped lips.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking lots of water is beneficial for any patient who wants to improve their skin, but is even more important for diabetics. By staying on top of hydration, patients can keep their skin moist and healthy.
- Protect the skin. Protection from the elements will also help reduce the risk of problems with the skin. During sunny days, patients should utilize a sunblock of SPF 30 or higher, and in the colder months, the skin should be protected with gloves, boots, scarves, and hats.
Are you interested in learning how to care for your skin?
If you have diabetes and are looking to develop a skin care routine that ensures you look your best, contact the team at Asarch Dermatology, Laser, and Mohs Surgery. Our front office can be reached at (303) 761-7797 and assist patients in various locations of Colorado including Englewood, Castle Rock, Holyoke, and Lakewood.