How To Get Smooth Skin
- Posted on: Apr 18 2022
Achieving smooth skin may not seem like a challenging task, but it is actually a complex skin issue that requires effort and time. Not to worry, we are here to ensure you can achieve your smoothest skin yet! Our dermatologists’ expert tips for how to get smooth skin can help make dry, rough skin a thing of the past.
What Causes Rough and Uneven Skin?
Before we discuss how to get smooth skin, it’s important to understand the causes of rough skin. Sun damage, air pollutants, age, dead skin cell buildup, and cold, dry weather can all contribute to rough skin. Certain skin conditions can also make the texture of your skin rough and uneven. Common skin conditions include psoriasis (raised, scaly patches on the skin), eczema (patches of itchy, dry skin), keratosis pilaris (small bumps on the skin), and dry skin.
Follow a Healthy Routine to Promote Smooth Skin
Your lifestyle choices have a big impact on your skin! While a consistent skin care routine can help you achieve smooth, healthy-looking skin, following a healthy lifestyle is also important. These tips can help you get softer, smoother skin:
- Drink enough water: Drinking plenty of water throughout the day helps your cells stay hydrated, reducing skin dryness and roughness.
- Wear sunscreen: Wearing sunscreen every day prevents sun damage and encourages smooth skin with an even texture. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least 30 SPF.
- Prioritize sleep: Getting a good night’s rest helps your body repair damaged skin cells.
- Exercise regularly: Regular exercise promotes smooth skin by improving blood circulation and improving your skin’s composition.
- Eat a healthy diet: Eating a diet rich in antioxidants, such as fatty fish, leafy greens, and brightly colored fruits and vegetables, prevents free radical damage and promotes skin repair.
- Don’t smoke: Smoking leads to wrinkles and premature aging, contributing to skin with a rough texture.
- Drink in moderation: Excessive alcohol consumption dehydrates your skin over time, leading to dry skin with a rough, uneven texture.
Skincare Products for Healthy, Smooth Skin
Following a skincare routine and using the right products for your skin type is essential to achieving smooth, supple skin. Consistency is key, so you’ll want to establish a daily routine that you follow day and night. Asarch Dermatology maintains a robust selection of dermatologist-approved products that you can add to your routine.
Keep these tips in mind when creating your daily skincare routine:
Cleansing keeps your skin looking radiant and healthy by removing all traces of dirt, makeup, and sweat. Cleanse your skin in the morning and at night with a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser.
Example: AHA Facial Cleanser
Exfoliating removes dead skin cells that can make your skin appear rough or uneven, revealing smoother, healthier-looking skin. Avoid using harsh scrubs and polishes and choose gentler exfoliating products containing alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), such as lactic and glycolic acid, or beta hydroxy acids (BHAs), such as salicylic acid.
Example: Facial Enzyme Cleanser, Gently Exfoliating Facial Wash
Consider adding a retinol product to your routine to smooth the texture of your skin by encouraging cell turnover and preventing the clogging of pores. In addition to smoother, brighter skin, retinoids also increase collagen and elastin production, improving your skin’s firmness.
Example: Retin Aid+
Moisturizing daily is crucial for maintaining smooth skin. When your skin is dry and dehydrated, it can feel rough and flaky. Apply moisturizer to your face and body while they’re still damp to lock in moisture. Choose a moisturizer with ultra-hydrating ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and glycerin.
Example: Antioxidant Facial Cream – Mild Moisturizer
How to Get Smooth Skin Using Home Remedies
To improve your skin’s health and promote a smoother appearance, try these home remedies:
- Oatmeal baths: Oatmeal baths and skincare products containing oatmeal can smooth your skin by helping it retain moisture. They can also soothe skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
- Honey: Try using raw honey as a natural exfoliator, which can gently remove dry, dull skin cells and reveal smooth skin underneath.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil can significantly improve your skin’s hydration levels, helping it appear smoother and more even in texture.
- Humidifier: Humidifiers work by adding moisture to the air. Adding a humidifier to your room, especially during cold, dry winters, can prevent your skin from becoming dry and dehydrated.
Dermatologist Treatments for Smooth Skin
Sometimes lifestyle choices and skincare routines alone are not enough to treat dry, rough skin. Asarch dermatologists offer a variety of services to help you achieve silky, smooth skin and treat various skin conditions. These services include:
- Chemical peels: During this exfoliating treatment, a chemical solution is applied to the skin. A smoother, more radiant complexion is revealed after your skin heals.
- Facials: A facial treatment uses professional-strength products to deep clean your pores and exfoliate, promoting smooth skin.
- Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion is a mild procedure that removes the outer layer of dead skin cells, revealing smoother, brighter-looking skin underneath.
- Microchanneling (or microneedling): This minimally invasive cosmetic procedure improves skin texture by boosting the production of collagen and elastin.
Visit Asarch Dermatology
If you’re still struggling to achieve smooth skin, the skin care experts at Asarch Dermatology can help. We’ll work with you to design a treatment plan that addresses your skin care needs, and we also offer a variety of products that suit every skin type. Contact us today to make an appointment at one of our three convenient locations in Englewood, Castle Rock, or Lakewood, CO.