Welcome December and the official start of the Holiday Season! Some of you love the shopping, deals and super savings! We want to help you make good decisions when it comes to your cosmetic counter purchases. Some items, no matter how great the savings are still a bad deal.
When you walk into the cosmetic section of a department store, the colorful displays all vie for your attention. But sleek, alluring packaging doesn’t mean that what is inside contains effective ingredients. You need to carefully analyze what you hear from sales people and from the media. Read the label and know what ingredients to look for. If a sales person makes a claim about an anti-aging, wrinkle-reducing, age spot-fading, etc. ingredient- ask what it is and how it works. Truly knowledgeable skin care professionals will have thorough explanations.
What works? Scientists have proven that certain agents do assist in slowing and correcting the aging process. With my line, DERMASpa RX, I have created products with high concentrations of the following scientifically proven ingredients. Don’t be fooled by sound-a-like names or agents.
- Tretinoin (Retin-A, Renova or Avita) (by prescription) and Tazarotene (Tazorac) (by prescription)-These ingredients help prevent and repair the early signs of aging. Specifically they can reduce fine wrinkles and skin roughness, and stimulate collagen for healthier, younger looking skin.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA)- “The Skin Miracle” AHAs cleanse, exfoliate, improve texture and smooth your skin. Suggested product AHA Facial Cleanser
- Antioxidants– (Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Idebenone) Free radicals are a major contributor to skin aging. Topical Antioxidants have been shown to inhibit the destructive properties of free radicals in the skin.Suggested Product Antioxidant Facial Cream
- MDI Complex- The marine enzyme MDI complex works as a 100% water soluble preservative system. It keeps skin cells bonded to one another contibuting to skin’s firmness and elasticity. Hydrating B Serum
- Glucosmine HCL/ Algae-This ingredient improves collagen synthesis and helps retain skin moisture. Suggested Product: Efface
- Peptides (e.g. KTTKS)-Peptides help reduce wrinkles and renew the skin’s outer layer by regenerating damaged skin. They also stimulate collagen production and improve skin thickness.
- Niacinamide-Studies have shown this ingredient’s ability to strengthen skin barrier integrity and dramatically increase hydration for plumper, smoother skin. Suggested Product Moisturizing Repair Cream
- Beta-Glucan- This ingredient increases skin resistance to UV radiation and protects against water loss. Suggested Product Neck Firming Serum
- Retinol-Although its name is similar, retinol is different than tretinoin. It is more accessible because it is available without a prescription and it rarely irritates your skin as much as tretinoin. Suggested product Retin-Aid
- Furfuryladenine- This ingredient, also referred to as Kinetin, is a natural plant-growth factor that slowsthe aging process in plants. Leaves that have been cut will not turn brown if they are dipped in Furfuryladenine.
- Hyaluronic Acid-(HA) This is a super moisturizing, jelly like substance that is abundant in youthful skin. HA fills the gaps between collagen and elastin fibers and helps transport essential nutrie the live cells of the skin. Suggested Product Eye Repair Cream
- CoEnzyme Q10- (also known as ubiquinone) is a fat soluble vitamin that we produce in our bodies to protect against free radical damage.
- Ursolic Acid- This specialized ingredient is found in very few skin care products and has the unique ability to re-program aging cells to produce lipids essential for moisturizing the skin. Suggested Product Moisturizing Repair Cream
- Photolyase- helps restore normal cellular fuction that is damaged by Ultraviolet Light
When it comes to cosmetics, most just act as high priced moisturizers. If they don’t have proven ingredients, pass them up.
Over the years, patients have constantly asked me “what products will work for my skin?”. My research has led me to the active ingredients that I put into my products. They are formulated with effective ingredients, with the right pH and combination for varying skin types. So, this holiday season, wherever you shop- don’t waste your money at the Cosmetic Counter. Purchase quality products with scientifically backed ingredients.
Here’s to your skin health and a Happy Holiday Season,
Dr. Richard Asarch, M.D.