If you have been diagnosed with skin cancer, then you have probably heard of the Mohs Micrographic Surgery which we discussed in our previous blog “Do You Know About Mohs?”. Mohs surgery is unique and effective because of the way the removed tissue is microscopically examined, evaluating 100% of the surgical margins.
In our practice, the pathologic interpretation of the tissue margins is done on site by Dr. Asarch, who is specially trained in the reading of these slides and is best able to correlate any microscopic findings with the surgical site on the patient. Advantages of Mohs surgery include:
- Ensuring complete cancer removal during surgery, virtually eliminating the chance of the cancer growing back
- Minimizing the amount of healthy tissue lost
- Maximizing the functional and cosmetic outcome resulting from surgery
- Repairing the site of the cancer the same day the cancer is removed, in most cases
- Curing skin cancer when other methods have failed
Other skin cancer treatment methods blindly estimate the amount of tissue to treat, which can result in the unnecessary removal of healthy skin tissue and tumor re-growth if any cancer is missed. Make an appointment with us today to find out if you’ a candidate for this highly-effective procedure.